Monday, January 9, 2012

How to Wear Red Lipstick

Red lipstick is a staple item in my life. Not only does it make me feel glamorous, it adds a little extra oomph to any outfit. With that being said you would think every girl would have a tube in her makeup bag? Nope; many girls express not knowing how to wear this bold shade. Have no fear; Ashley is here with another step by step post on how to achieve your perfect crimson pout J


Step 1: Soft and Luscious Lips
  • Jasmine covered this in her kissable lips video! A pretty pout starts with smooth lips. Make sure any dead skin is removed so your color can be smooth, there's nothing I hate more than DRY LIPS! #tragic #epicfail
Step 2: Line Those Lips
  • I mention the importance of lip liner in my "Makeup Essentials I Can't Live Without" post, but I will say it again: when wearing lipstick line those lips! Just make sure the lip liner is the EXACT same shade as your lipstick. You do not want the two tone affect, if the exact shade is not possible, find a lip liner the same shade as your lips.
Step 3: Powder is Your Friend
  • Powder sets your makeup, dust your lips lightly to give your color extra hold.
Step 4: Choose the Right Shade
  • This part is tricky... you might have to try a few times to get it right. If you are apprehensive, hit up your local Ulta or Sephora and they will hook you up with a tutorial for freeeee! If you are fair skinned, stick with pink undertones; olive skinned, do an orange based. For my women of color, classic reds to brick reds work best for our skin. 


Step 5: The Application
  • I usually never apply my lipstick straight from the tube anymore, now I use a lip brush. Start with the top, then work your way to the sides; do the same for your bottom lip. DO NOT SMACK YOUR LIPS TOGETHER! Fix any mistakes with a Q-tip then apply a second layer.
Step 6: The Rest of Your Face
  • The biggest mistake people make with red lipstick is trying to pair it with loud eye makeup. For me, I usually stick to black eyeliner and a little blush on the apples of my cheeks. If I do wear eye shadow with my red lips, it is a neutral pastel shade (sheer lilacs, or vanilla). 


Okay ladies now you are ready to step out with your new red lips! Remember make fashion simple; and then add a touch of glam. 

Email me comments or suggestions at amg030@shsu.edu and follow me on Twitter @AshleySoBougie

No comments:

Post a Comment