Per request from one of my good friends I have decided to also do a how-to blog on leggings. They are a very versatile item to own and can be a much more fashionable (and comfy) alternative to jeans.
Step 1: Let's start with the basics
- These days you can find leggings in every color and style imaginable, so I can imagine how shopping for a pair could be overwhelming. If you are a newbie in the leggings world I would recommend starting with black or brown.
- The most popular length for leggings are ankle length (which flatter everyone) but you can also find those that hit mid-calf. For me, being 5'2 I steer clear of these because they tend to make my legs look chunky! Mid-calf leggings are more for the tall and lean girl.
- Speaking of chunky, lol, let me just say that I embrace being a curvy woman and I strive to show that fashion is not dependent on your weight...BUT the main issue I see with leggings are that (thicker) women do not pick leggings that will flatter their bodies. For example, if you have a Nicki Minaj booty do not try and wear leggings as pants, you will cheapen the look and add pounds that aren't really there. Also, darker shades are always flattering, but I know my true fashionistas will want to step outside of the box. Printed leggings are HAWT right now, my trick to balancing out my curves with the print is wearing an over-sized tunic in a neutral shade.
- I think leggings look best when paired with a flowy top or dress, tunics or a short skirt. My rule is if you are going to keep it tight at the bottom, keep it flowy at the top and vice versa.
- You can wear heels with your leggings but I wouldn't pull out the 6 inch pumps! They look best paired with ballet flats, boots, moccasins, boots and especially oxfords.
Here are some looks for you to try...
I really hope these tips and pictures helped you guys out! Leggings are fun, enjoy experimenting! Until next time my fellow fashion dolls, remember make fashion simple then add a touch of glam :)